Monday, April 27, 2015

Meet Frannie Buckets





Hi, everyone. Welcome back for the continuation of the Character Blog Hop, which focuses this month upon heroines. Last week was Arla Dahl’s turn, and we met her intriguingly complex and seductive Mercy Paine from her historical erotic trilogy Immoral Virtue. If you missed it, you can find her interview here: http://wp.me/p4ueZD-mM

Today I’ll be speaking with Francesca Bousquet, leading lady and editorial aide extraordinaire, star of the mystery Frannie Buckets. In that story, she’s visited by her half-uncle Walter, who’s driven her crazy for most of her life – and Fran reluctantly helps him solve a cold case murder. Unfortunately, Walter’s well-intentioned antics also send the murderer after her.

Now, several months and some slick defensive moves with a tazer later, Fran’s agreed to meet with me. She was present for a portion of her uncle Walter’s interview in February, but “circumstances” led to her early departure. She’s happy to participate today if only to have the last word when it comes to perspective on their adversarial relationship. I do have to keep on my toes with Fran, however; she’s more intelligent and astute – and guarded—than I am.

We’ve settled in her kitchen while she heats water for tea. The room is lovely – white enameled cabinets, sunny south-facing window over the sink, and a pristine antique table and chairs circa 1940s. The bullet hole and the knife mark that were made over the stove and the phone, respectively, have been spackled and painted, so even though I know where they were anyone else might think this was not the kitchen where she threw a k-bar or averted a killer. I take out my notebook as Francesca places a floral print, fragile teacup before me on the Formica-topped table.

“Oolong?” she asks.

I agree; Fran prepares the pot, gathers sugar and (real!) cream. All very civilized. Outside there are birds singing and the soft sounds of an arcing sprinkler in the neighbor’s yard next door.  Fran settles with a sigh into her chair and gazes at me expectantly.

“I’m ready for your questions when you’re ready to present them,” she says directly.

“No caveats or cover image negotiations?” I cannot resist teasing. Uncle Walter had made some requests when he went through this process with me earlier. Francesca smiles and shakes her head.

“You’ll find I’m much more amenable and confident in whatever choices you make about our future. Would you care for any cookies or fruit?”

She’s also better prepared than I was when a hungry Walter arrived to speak with me. However, I demur; Fran indicates with a nod to proceed then. Gazing down at my notes, I ask, “What is your greatest fear?”
           
There is absolutely no hesitation to Francesca’s reply. “Well. Hands down I’d have to say having to let my uncle Walter move back into my home is currently the most horrifying thing I can come up with.”

She and Walter did go through some difficult episodes when he came to stay with her while he was in town for his friend Tommy’s funeral, so I completely understand. “Have you told this to anyone?”

Fran pauses with her cup in mid-air. “Of course I have. I’ve told my mother, my sister, several cousins, his friend Sollie…  I even had to explain my reasoning to my dog Marie (It’s for her own good, really, but how do you explain something like that to her?)… and Tim next door, since Walter’s parked his keister on Tim’s sofa for the time being.” She smiles quickly then, confessing, “Tim’s an angel.”

Not that I don’t understand her concerns, but further explanation might be a good idea. “Why?”

Well, let’s see.” Fran says, ticking her points off on her fingertips after she’s placed the teacup back upon its saucer on the table. “There’s the snoring, the firearms, the flatulence, the way he insists upon taking a ninja approach and scaring the bejesus out of me for his own amusement. Taking three or four baths a day – my water bill, which arrived shortly after Walter departed, was extraordinary. You might have heard he also managed to send all of his notes and conclusions about a murder case to the actual murderer, which nearly got us both killed. That’s only in the past few months. The stories I could tell about how he’s tortured me for most of my life could fill entire shelves at any good, independent bookstore.”

Hmm. Apparently I’ve touched upon a nerve or two. I check my notes. “Is there anyone you would never tell this to?”   

Fran nods. “I would never tell Olivia, the widow whose husband’s demise brought him here. I might get lucky and they’ll finally figure out they’re perfect for each other. If she hears what a pest he is, she’ll never let him live with her. She’s a dear woman, but I must prioritize, and self-preservation has to be at the top of my list.”

Stunned by her vehemence, I follow my notes. “Why?”
           
Francesca sits back in her seat, gazing at me levelly. “Darling, you really do need to pay better attention to my responses before you ask your next query.” She must realize she sounds a little intimidating, because she continues in a quieter tone. “Although I did omit mention of the state of my kitchen if I leave Walter alone in it for more than five minutes. One morning I went out for a few errands and when I returned he had no less than five guests in here playing poker, stinking drunk! It was barely lunchtime. If Olivia knew he was up to such antics, I’d never be rid of him.”

Clearly Walter will not be residing in Fran’s house in the future. We each sip our tea, and Fran nibbles on a lemon cookie. I change course. “Tell me about one person who made a positive difference in your life.”

This question seems to give her pause. Surely she can think of someone…

She finishes her cookie before she speaks. “Hmmm. Well, I must admit, I haven’t really encountered anyone recently who’s made a positive difference in my life. A long time ago, I was married to a philosophy professor named David. He was extremely intellectual and expanded so much of my knowledge and my curiosity about the world around me. Unfortunately my curiosity also led to the discovery that David was carrying on an illicit liaison with a cashier named Mimi at our local car wash. It was rather embarrassing at the time, but I have come so far intellectually that I now am able to wish them both w—.”

She stops herself, takes a breath, continues. “Actually, I have come so far intellectually, due to David’s earlier reassurances that I would continue to grow almost as smart as he was, that I would now be able to say this: ‘David, you are an insufferable prick.’”

She blinks, her expression thoughtful. “That felt better. Next question?”
           
“Where do you go when you need time to yourself?”

Francesca smiles.  “I take Marie to the park for a long stroll. Nothing like stretching our legs near the lakeshore. We have our best discussions there, and Marie’s a wonderful listener.”
              
“Do you have a secret? If so, why do you feel the need to keep it secret?”

Fran grins now. “Well. I really don’t like to brag. It’s not in my nature, you see. But shortly after David made his departure, I had a – well, let’s just call it a transitional period. I gathered up my belongings and took myself on a well-deserved vacation. I fancied myself a fledgling screenwriter at the time, and I did have some very good ideas. Where better to practice this art than in La-La Land, so I moved to Los Angeles.

“Well, the screenwriting did not take off as planned and I worked for a short time at an animal shelter because I’m a lover of all creatures great and small. One day – you’ll never believe this, but it’s true. We held a fabulous adopt-a-thon and Michael Jackson showed up! He brought along his chimp Bubbles of course, and made a generous donation. He even demonstrated a selection of his dance moves. At one point I held Bubbles so he could do some of his signature twists and turns, and when I told him how well-behaved the little primate was, he was so pleased he offered to teach me some steps.

“So that’s my secret. I know how to moonwalk.

“I would never want Walter to know. He would never cease teasing me about it; I’d never be able to go to family functions again. I’d probably have to move back to LA just to get a little peace. Please, if you could keep this just between you and me.”

“Oh, well… I’m not sure if I can do that. You’ve agreed to be interviewed for the blog, which is public, so…” I can see this is a dilemma for her. After several moments, she seems to come to a resolution.

“How about we just don’t remind Walter that I’ll be on your blog?”

I’m not sure that’s going to work, and my expression might betray my reservations. Fran pats my hand.  “Otherwise he’d only read it if we told him not to; trust me.”

Hmm. This is true. We move on to the last question. “What is your fondest childhood memory?”

And here I am finally surprised as Fran reveals something even I did not know before. Her smile is wistful.

“It has to do with my father, actually. I was only four, but I have this very vivid recollection of him in what I suppose was a tuxedo, very dark and handsome. One night he was getting ready to take my mother to some event or other, and he danced with me. I must have barely come to his knees, and I remember his shiny black shoes because my mother scolded him about letting me step on them – I in my pajama gown, standing on my father’s shoes while he slow danced us around the room. He did that so I could follow the steps, you see.

“He was a very beautiful, smiling man – I can’t recall his entire face anymore, just his dark eyes; isn’t that sad? but I recall the sense of … a very warm feeling with him. I remember he used to throw his head back when he laughed, but I don’t remember what that sounded like.”

“I’m so sorry. You’ve never mentioned him before. What happened to him?”   

She waves me off, not meeting my gaze. “Oh… I have no idea. My mother has never spoken of him, and he was out of our lives by the time I went to school. She’s remarried at least four times since then. I suppose I used to ask about him, for him, but she always changed the subject. After a while I thought it best to cease asking. My mother has not had the best luck in relationships so it’s possible he left us for some reason. We just don’t talk about it.”

But then she smiles teasingly. So brightly one would think I didn’t just see that vulnerability Fran never, ever shows.

“You’re sure I can’t talk you out of publishing that reminiscence about Michael Jackson….?”

***

Next week, be sure to look for Deb Druzy’s latest interview, with her heroine Lily Lane, Scenic View's lonely local sweetheart from her Contemporary Romance novel, Sleeping With Santa. You can find her interview here on her blog – https://debradruzy.wordpress.com/posts/

Debra Druzy is a lifelong Long Islander, writing contemporary romance while caring for the hubby, two daughters, and the dog. Her debut novel, SLEEPING WITH SANTA, a spicy romance, is available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other notable booksellers. To get to know Debra visit her website - http://www.debradruzy.com/, and be sure to visit her blog https://debradruzy.wordpress.com/posts/, where you’ll meet lonely local sweetheart, Lily Lane, her heroine from SLEEPING WITH SANTA.

Thanks for stopping by! I'll be back soon to talk about writing, or life, or writing about life.... 

20 comments:

  1. Holy cow. You had me all choked up at the end of the interview when she remembers her dad. Stunning. I can't tell you how much I love Fran. She shows just the right amount of wit, intelligence and vulnerability to make her truly compelling. AND she can moonwalk! LOL! And you know, MJ didn’t trust Bubbles with just anyone, so... that, also, says a lot about Fran. Loved this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. That whole admission about her father caught me off guard, too. And now that I've discovered what happened to him, I'm hesitant to tell her. Walter and I have been talking about it a lot. But not about the moonwalking...

      Delete
  2. Walter clearly pushes all of Fran’s buttons yet it feels like they’re a team – kind of like Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law’s Holmes and Watson. Constantly at odds, but still a team. :-) Truly fun stuff. I’m so looking forward to more of their story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fran is so real—I don't know how you do it, but she's right there in her pristine kitchen with everything just so, and so much bubbling under that very proper surface. I love her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much, Lil. She kind of grows on you.

      Delete
  4. I see many facets in this one :)
    Seriously, she's a hoot, but it's always the strong, funny ones that have the ability to make you cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie. She's so strong she sometimes gets in her own way, but I'm glad you think she's funny too.

      Delete
  5. So much fun! I love Frannie... a cashier at the car wash! You're well rid of David. But do me a favor and put up with Walter... you two are suited for each other... like, like kippers and marmalade! You go, Frannie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, kippers and marmalade... interesting. And who says she's really rid of David? Stay tuned... Thanks for commenting, Gwen.

      Delete
  6. Fran is an interesting gal -- and after meeting Walter in an earlier interview I'm curious to read their story :)
    Fun and Funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra. I hope their story gets out there soon.

      Delete
  7. Frannie seems to have had several traumatic hurdles to get over yet she has retained her true self. Sounds like a very interesting woman.

    Thanks for bringing her to us, Lynne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Donna. I hope Fran's around a while. I'm learning from her.

      Delete
  8. What a fun interview, I would love to have tea with Frannie! Thanks for giving us a glimpse into her character. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll have to be oolong. She's pretty particular about her teas. But I'm sure she'd love to meet you too. :)

      Delete
  9. Great interview!! Frannie is such an intriguing character - she's unique and seems like a real spitfire. So intelligent too! I bet she's great at solving a murder. Thanks for the opportunity to get to know her - so interesting! Stephanie Kepke (it was showing up as anonymous - so, I added my name, just in case it didn't show up when I post...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in, Stephanie. She is intelligent, but Walter practically has to drag her into his crime-solving schemes. At least it gets her out of her office...

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I hope so soon, Jane. Thank you. I've been having a less than stellar week with this but you just gave me the inspiration to go on.

      Delete